The other Reddit person, Aitasshole1, narrated on the AITA subreddit of how her younger sister had lied to her and has made her reconsider helping her. In the thread, Aitasshole1 disclosed she is 23 years old.
She was raised in a home that was abusive and was forced to leave in order to start over. Aitasshole1 has a 19 year-old sister who is in her care.
She is responsible for all of the expenses of her sister which includes the cost of housing and tuition to college. Her sister attends an institution that is 4 hour drive away from their home.
In order to make sure her sister can get to school in a relaxed manner, Aitasshole1 decided to find an apartment close to the school. As per Aitasshole1, search in her neighborhood is not easy, especially for women. As such, she’s spent hours trying to find the perfect home to her sibling.
She claimed that her sister has always been open with her about relationships, however, one day she was lying about going to a friend’s house. Instead of visiting her friend she went to visit an individual whom Aitasshole1 believes to be her boyfriend.
Aitasshole1 is hurt because her sister lies to her about something so trivial and believes she ought to stop house hunting. In into consideration the AITA Subreddit Aitasshole1 inquired if she’s reacting too much or not.
Here’s what the AITA community thinks.
Here’s how it began.
I wonder why this is such a problem, though.
Because she’s hurt, she’ll force her sibling to travel 4 hours daily.
But silver lining… Here’s how Reddit responded.
1. Her sister probably has a valid reason for not telling her the truth yet.
2. She’s acting like her sister’s mum but wants the sister to confide in her like a sister.
3. It seems she’s jealous that her sister has a boyfriend.
4. Such irrational action could ruin her relationship with her sister for years.
5. Her sister is coming into adulthood and may be embarrassed to discuss some things.
6. Her sister most likely lied because she knew she would overreact.
7. Her sister is an adult and is entailed to privacy. So she should stop being petty.
8. She is spoiling her sister by taking care of her expenses. Her sister should look for a house if she wants one.
9. Her sister wasn’t ready to deal with her reaction yet.
10. She is trying to control her sister, and that’s abusive behaviour.
11. She should take some take to process the development and stop over-sacrificing for her sister.
12. She has forgotten that her sister also grew up in an abusive home and may have trust issues.
13. Her sister doesn’t have to tell her everything she does because she’s an adult.
14. Stopping house hunting will only make her sister detest her.
15. Her sister lied because she wanted privacy, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
16. She’s not obligated to help her sister but punishing her for wanting privacy is petty.
17. She is abusing her sister.
18. Her sister may be forced to move in with a guy because travelling four hours daily to school is unrealistic.
19. Her sister may still tell her one day.
20. She should let her sister become responsible for herself like an adult.
What Would You Do?
Each relationship relies upon trust and mutual respect, regardless of whether that one is romantic. False statements undermine trust, and hurts both parties involved in the process.
Sometimes it is true that people lie for good reasons and those on the receiving end of the lie might not be thrilled. In the the same situation What should you take action?
Post your comments below.